Friday, March 6, 2009

me = bucket of information

Lastly in my literacy conception model, is myself...which is the culmination of all other parts that have passed down information to me, decided which messages were worthy of sending, which texts or ideas to enforce, which ones to distract me with, persuade me to think a certain way, think of a certain discourse as more superior than others, pushing and pushing and pushing their influence upon me. This type of pressure and so-called 'guidance' by all other parts of my literacy model, reflect the influences that have created the person I am. Ideally, one would like to develop into their own being without the persuasion of other people's ideas...but is this ideal really reality? Our culture teaches us to become individuals, and think for oneself...but the system does not stand by its own preaching, the system is telling members to become an individual, that does/acts certain ways, one of which is being an individual thinker. Although this may seem empowering, it also is very restricting for a growing mind. How can one become everything society idolizes as an individual, while struggling to conform to the system's term of being an individual?

No comments:

Post a Comment